Expand and Rebrand: Reintroducing a Historical Community
Background & Challenges
KMH is a not-for-profit community sponsored by Kansas Masonic Homes in Wichita, Kansas. Formerly Kansas Masonic Home, the campus underwent an extraordinary expansion and renovation that dramatically increased their number of units and created an opportunity to position themselves as the forward-thinking, progressive provider in the market.
However, prior to the final phase (opening the final 10% of their units), the organization was sitting at less than 65% occupancy. The campus was also suffering from a market misperception that the community only served Masons and their families. In addition, KMH had to refinance their traditional bank debt, which required high and sustained occupancy, in a short timeframe.
KMH needed a consultant to quickly evaluate their sales and marketing program, supplement their sales and marketing efforts, and dramatically improve their census and occupancy to refinance and achieve financial stability. When KMH engaged Murdock, they were adding 110 residences with hopes to achieve stabilization on the campus within 12 months.
- Completed a thorough assessment of the organization and existing campus
- Identified marketing strengths and made recommendations by utilizing an inverse sales pyramid and assessing Murdock’s 12 key marketing components
- Developed a comprehensive strategic and tactical plan
- Oversaw a complete rebrand of the community’s name, logo, brand standards, image, quality of creative, and greater market awareness
- Executed strong marketing campaigns – including “120 Years New," household model campaigns and team member campaigns – to create a new image for the community
- Evaluated sales and marketing team members and recommended appropriate changes
- Provided in-depth sales training, resources, and tools for the sales team to be successful
- Optimized website and collateral packages to be consistent with the product and the market
- Enhanced referral sources and created a plan to cultivate and maintain relationships with those referral sources
- Provided hands-on, in-person sales and marketing oversight and support
- Compressed timeline from lead to move-in
“We’ve partnered with Murdock for several years and it’s been a great partnership. Their team is quick on their feet, respond in a timely manner and work extremely hard to deliver top-quality work. They understand our organization and they show ROI for dollars spent. They give our community their best, year after year.”
– Matthew Bogner, CEO
- Sales and marketing assessment
- Marketing and sales advisory and oversight
- Sales training and coaching
- Brand development
- Digital content strategy
- Email marketing
- Social media development
- Pricing analysis
- Public relations
- Mystery shop
- Team alignment
After making intensive improvements to KMH’s sales and marketing efforts, Murdock helped KMH surpass their internal goals for occupancy, including achieving 100% occupancy in memory care within six months of opening. The community was able to dramatically improve their market perception, increase new leads by nearly 500%, stabilize occupancy, and refinance. Murdock also worked with the sales team to add a level of sophistication to the sales process.